Shoulder season is the period of time between a region’s peak season and its offseason.
This article will cover everything you need to know about shoulder season. Let’s get started!
When Is Shoulder Season?
Shoulder season varies depending on the destination. In general, it’s considered to be spring and autumn (March-April and September-October). However, it can also be during the shoulder months of winter and summer, depending on the location.
Benefits of Traveling in Shoulder Season
Airfare and hotel rates are typically lower during this season than during peak season. Additionally, you can even find better deals on activities and tours.
This season is less crowded than peak season, so you’ll have more space to explore popular attractions and enjoy shorter lines.
This season often has the best weather of the year; temperatures are moderate, and there’s less chance of extreme weather conditions.
More Authentic Experience
With fewer tourists, you’ll get a more authentic experience of the local culture. You’ll also be able to interact with locals more easily.
How to Find the Best Deals
- Be flexible with your travel dates. Try to travel during the early or late shoulder season. You’re more likely to find good deals during these times.
- Book your flights and hotel in advance. It will help you get the best prices.
- Look for package deals. Many tour operators offer package deals that include airfare, hotel, and activities. This is a good way to save money and get everything you need for your trip in one place.
Tips for Traveling in Shoulder Season
Be prepared for changing weather conditions
Shoulder season weather can be unpredictable, so it’s a good idea to pack for all types of weather.
Even though shoulder season is less crowded than peak season, it’s still a good idea to make reservations for popular activities and restaurants, especially if you’re traveling during a holiday weekend.
Be flexible with your plans
Things don’t always go according to plan when you’re traveling, so it’s important to be flexible. For example, if a certain attraction is closed or a tour is canceled, don’t be afraid to change your plans.
Popular Shoulder Season Destinations
These are the most popular destinations to visit in this period:
- In Europe: Paris, London, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Lisbon, Florence, Venice, Prague, and Budapest.
- In Asia: Bangkok, Tokyo, Kyoto, Bali, Phuket, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Seoul.
- In South America: Rio de Janeiro, Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Galapagos Islands.
- In North America: New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, Orlando, and Chicago.
- In Africa: Zanzibar, Algeria, Tunisia, Botswana, South Africa, Tanzania.
- In Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Cairns, and Uluru.
Shoulder season is a great time to travel. You can save money, avoid the crowds, and enjoy better weather. So if you’re planning a trip in 2024, consider traveling during this season.